Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Junk Mail - A new take

I hate junk mail. I hate it with all my heart and soul. I hate having to RIP those worthless credit card applications, discount coupons for 999$ couches and fish by the pound. I hate the fact that I have to spend more and more of my 'diminishing savings' on trash bags to tackle this deluge of junk mail. The astute reader might say "Even my dog hates junk mail. But he doesn't waste his time blogging about it". Point noted. Thankfully, this post is not about how much I hate junk mail. It is all about why junk mail is not really 'junk' mail. Surprised!!!, read on.

Junk mail protects jobs. Have you ever wondered who it is that handles all this junk mail and makes sure that we get our quota every day ? Great going sherlock!!!. As you have guessed correctly, it is our friendly neighbourhood (Not spiderman) postal worker.

Junk mail creates demand for paper. Therefore, it is protecting the job of the paper mill worker.

Junk mail creates jobs in the printing industry.

So the next time you lay your hands on that 'travel voucher for 2 to hawaii fine print' rip it gently. Be glad that you are part of this whole job creation thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's some more fodder for the post.
- As for using trash bags and wasting your hard-earned-double-taxed-income, recycle the walmart shopping bags and save the enviornment as a bonus. (unless u scored a 90+ on the nerd score and are a person who carries their own shopping bags to the grocery store)
- As for hating junk mail.. well remember what joni mitchell said "Dont' it always seem to go that you dont know what you've got till its gone." I am a big fan of checking Mail. Opening my mailbox is like opening my birthday presents. I check my mail everyday. I hate sundays because there's no post on sundays.. I realized how much I love checking mail when I moved recently. I would occassionally open my mailbox and it would be empty. The feeling kills you - you know.. how come no one wants to send me a mail. I dont care if its for cleaning a chimney that I dont have. I'm so glad now that the snail-mail-spammers have my new address once again. My mom didnt say this but my mailbox is like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you're gonna get!
- Of course targeted advertising would definately be more appealing like I'm always looking for the chick-fil-A free sandwich coupon which so many veggies unfortunately throw away as junk... but I'm not complaining.. afterall tearing paper is therapeutic.

This plugin requires Adobe Flash 9.